Monday, April 8, 2019

Walking on the Amalfi Coast

I went on a walking tour of the Amalfi coast and here are some pictures.






I suppose it's sad that lovers will deface anything to prove their love for one another, but still....
(or perhaps I'm just amused that probably the defacement will outlast the love.)

Orange and lemon trees (and some trees with both fruits) line the streets of Italian cities.


Lemons that might have been picked from that tree.



The wall in the upper left corner of this photo is from the Roman empire,


As are these arches, I'm sure.



as I suspect are these walls.











These houses just shoved the wall out of the way, didn't they?  Or did the rock grow back as a threat?


Sometimes you'll find a stray door and wonder where it goes, or went.





I saw so many cliffs with lees or caves that I suspect have been there since before the Roman empire.


I'm not sure how old that house is, but I'm glad it hasn't been pulled down,


as I am about this door.  I'm not sure I want to know where it goes.


it reminded me of pictures I took in Turkey.




I was in Italy, so there were plenty of grape terraces.




Random sculpture.





Millions of years ago, faces were carved into the rocks as icebergs eroded away at granite.



Here's a snide face, with narrowed eyes.  


More often, the rock was just carved away at irregularly; as dripping water wears away at stone as much as worry slowly carves lines in our faces.


I think that the netting is put up to protect drivers from falling rocks, but I do NOT know that.  I just can't imagine any other reason for the netting.

You can see how the cities were built above all this damage.





A ferry takes people to Capri.  It doesn't look very glamorous.








The environment is good for ferns, but this picture is a good reminder of the temporary nature of life.





No comments: